We are devastated by the tragic acts of violence at the University of Idaho and the University of Virginia. We extended our deepest sympathies to the families of the victims as well as the students, faculty, and staff at both universities, and their families.
We urge our members and your student and family clients to prioritize your mental health and wellness, both in the face of such horrific events and for long-term health and well-being. We also advocate for policies that focus on the mental health and wellness of our students and educators to help prevent such tragic events in the future.
You may find these resources helpful, as both parents and educators:
- Tips for College and University Students: Managing Your Distress in the Aftermath of the Virginia Tech Shootings
- Coping in the Aftermath of a Shooting
- Managing Your Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting
- Helping Your Children Manage Distress in the Aftermath of a Shooting
- Talking to Kids When They Need Help